[Namron] SCA cooks.

margaret m.p.decker at att.net
Mon Oct 17 16:46:23 PDT 2005

Pardon me, but you are wrong.  While the primary food was grain, as bread,
porridge and beer across the full spectrum of the Middle Ages, the people
who could afford to eat meat ate it and the range of sources was well beyond
what would be eaten today, even by a hunter.  Poultry sellers dealt in a
full range of domestic and wild bird including chickens, pheasant, quail,
swans, bustards, all manner of finches, thrushes and songbirds, figpeckers,
guinea fowl and turkeys.  Pork was the common meat, but beef, shep, goats,
venison, wild boar, moose, rabbit, water buffalo, wisent, horse, and just
about anything else on four legs was used as food.  Fishmongers provided
mussels, clams, oysters, eels, salmon, sturgeon, mullet, carp, herring,
mackeral, tuna, porpoise, whale, dolphin, etc.

Salting, drying, smoking and pickling were common storage methods and worked
quite well.  Preserved meats, especially fish, were commonly traded all over
Europe.  Primary butchering at manors was commonly done in winter, after
forage became difficult and before the livestock diminished the fodder
stocks, when the meat could be preserved by the cold.

Diet was limited by class, cost, time, place and availability, not by lack
of variety.  The absolute poor ate badly, the absolute wealthy ate lavishly
and everyone in between ate what the could afford.  A steady improvement in
diet began in about the 13th Century, peaked in the 15th and declined
bretween the 16th and 17th.  The 15th Century peak would not be matched
until the late 19th or early 20th Century.

Bear