[Namron] Torsade Scroll

Matthias the Brewer matthiasthebrewer at cox.net
Wed Mar 8 07:04:50 PST 2006

I've always been under the impression that Captain and Admiral were separate
and distinct ranks.  Maybe it's my military background, but I have trouble
seeing someone as being both Captain and Admiral.  To my way of thinking,
that is the same as being both a Private and a Corporal.  I've always seen
an Admiral as commanding a number of ships, where each ship has a Captain.
The Admiral would control the "big picture" while the Captains controlled
everything on the ship.  An Admiral commanding a ship would either a VERY
unusual situation or an insult to the Admiral.  And when you throw in
Commodore (which is between Admiral and Captain), things get even more
confusing.  Any of these three ranks would control multiple ships.  But
being both Admiral and Captain, while reporting to a Commodore, is
contradictory.

I know that this pattern of rank has been in place for hundreds of years,
but I honestly couldn't say when it started, or even if this rank structure
is at all period.

I guess I should have stopped to consider that this is the SCA, where the
unusual is the norm.  And being a Captain as a head of household is
something completely outside of what I'd considered.

I'm not trying to cause trouble on this.  I just have trouble making your
ranks work within the rank structure as I know.

  _____