[Namron] Christmas Music

zubeydah at northkeep.org zubeydah at northkeep.org
Wed Nov 15 06:51:08 PST 2006

Quoting Jim L Couch <jimcouch at gmail.com>:
> Also, I am looking for Middle Eastern style music to be played before the
> performance.  Any tips on choosing that style of music?  We are trying to
> create a Bethlehem style village and we are going to play the music while
> people are coming into the church.
> Any help appreciated.

I don't know if you've heard 'Six Songs for the Season' by Loreena McKinnet. On
it, she uses a variety of ethic music styles to really give a whole new aspect
to 6 standard christmas carols. One of them is a beladi-driven version of "God
Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen."  That might work double duty for you - it's both
middle eastern, and yet it's also a familiar carol.

Hope that helps,

-Zubeydah Jamilla al-Badawiyya