[Namron] Events

Matthias the Brewer matthiasthebrewer at cox.net
Tue Oct 17 10:24:52 PDT 2006

All,

I'll probably regret getting involved in this discussion again, but I'm
feeling rather philosophical today.

Any changes in policy from the BOD will result in changes of policy at the
Kingdom, Regional, Baronial, Shire, and Canton levels.  This is just how
things work.  Talking about changes on the list will probably not force any
changes.

I'm going to agree with Lady Danielle here.  If you want to suggest changes,
then continue as we are here and just debate them on the list.

But if you want to MAKE changes, put your money where your mouth is.  Find a
site, and put in a bid for an event using that site for consideration.  I
have certain changes I want to do myself, and I have plans to put in a bid
for Protectorate XXXI.  My bid will continue many of the traditions
associated with Namron's Protectorate, but with some plans to do more.  I
personally feel that strict adherence to tradition leads to stagnation.  And
I don't want to see Namron go down that road.  I want to see Namron grow and
thrive.  Continuing to do things because we've always done them that way is
a slow road to death.  If you have a reason you are not ABLE to be an
Autocrat, find someone who IS able and help them.  If you do not WANT to be
an autocrat, but just want to talk about how people are making mistakes and
not doing things correctly, SHUT UP!!!!

By the way, I don't know a lot about handicaps/disabilities, and would
welcome input into what is good and bad about sites from that point of view
for Protectorate XXXI.

At the same time, I don't advocate change just for the sake of change.
Change should be thought out and implemented in the best interests of the
Barony as a whole.  If we move to a site that is handicap friendly, but does
not allow for equestrian events, we are catering to one group within the
Barony at the expense of another.  I don't particularly like that analogy,
but it makes my point that there are many requirements we need to meet.

I think we do need to consider other sites.  But we also need to keep
equestrian events.  And I would like to add a Siege Engine activity.  There
is a lot of effort being spent advocating siege engines at Gulf War (and
other wars), but no one seems to want to add them to local/regional events.
Besides, I think Siege Engines are cool!!!

Anyone interested in the Siege-Engine-Launched-Water-Balloon Catch?  Not
sure it is possible, but it does sound entertaining to watch!!!

Let me add one more point.  Before we start bonfires and pointing fingers on
the lists about who did and who didn't do what when I told them this and
then they ignored me no matter how good my intentions were for the
improvement of the SCA as whole and blah blah blah.  We have had a change in
leadership in Namron.  Everything that happened before Protectorate XXX is
history.  I don't agree with everything that was done before Protectorate
XXX, and I don't disagree with everything done before Protectorate XXX.  Ulf
and Maleah did what they thought was right for the Barony as a whole.
Overall, I think they did a pretty good job.  Perfect?  No, but I'll admit
they did a better job than I probably would have.

Let's give Their Hairy-Toed Excellencies Baron Donnchadh and Baroness Muriel
(sorry, I HAD to throw in a Hobbit reference) a chance to do what they think
is right.  I happen to think they're both pretty damn capable people.  I
think they can do a good job, and I am also willing to bet that they will do
things that I think should have been differently.  But they are both going
to be the best B/B they can.  I can't help but notice that this discussion
has started less than 48 hours after their investiture.  I understand and
approve of giving input to leaders (both mundane and period), but don't
start a bonfire before they have a chance to do anything.

Remember, we all have different opinions of how things should be done.  And
none of them are wrong.  They're just opinions.

Let's quit talking about the past, and decide how we're going to move into
the future.

Matthias the Philosophical and Opinionated

  _____