[Namron] beer bread recipe

Alexander Bailey kattphud at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 20:24:15 PDT 2006

Good Evening,
His Excellency Ulf requested that I post my recipe for the beer bread I
brought to the potluck this evening. I used Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat in
that particular loaf, though almost any beer will do. (Though for the
record, Heineken doesn't quite work.)

Here's the recipe:
3 cups flour
5 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp sugar
1 12-oz bottle of beer, ROOM TEMPERATURE
2-3 tbsp water

Sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. In the absence of a
sifter, just cover the bowl securely and give it a good shake. Pretend it's
someone you love but would like to shake until their teeth rattle. Add the
beer, which I will reiterate MUST be at room temperature, or it won't react
properly with the baking powder. Just dump the beer in; don't try to
minimize the head. Mix until it's mixed. I've found that a 12-oz bottle of
beer isn't quite enough fluid, so I add a bit of water. Pour the dough (it's
more like batter though..) into a greased bread pan. Cover it with a cloth
or paper towel and let it rise for about 45 minutes. Bake at 425° F for 30
minutes. Slice and serve immediately, or if you have to transport it wrap it
in foil so it stays warm. Enjoy dry or with butter, and it goes great with
any beef dish.

I'd like to experiment with this recipe some more. If anyone has
recommendations of different beers to try, I'm willing to give it a shot. I
usually use Miller High Life, and I've tried Coors (it wasn't as good IMHO).
I'm not a beer connoiseur. In fact, I don't care for drinking alcohol at
all, though there is magic in cooking with it. I'd like to try mead in this
recipe if anyone can provide it for me or knows where I can get some. Ulf
also recommended I try using berry mead, if anyone knows where I can get
ahold of some of that, too.

Dreaming Again,
-- Bailey