[Namron] Curmudgeonry (Ignore if you don't want another rant)

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at cox.net
Wed Sep 20 19:52:28 PDT 2006

Caius wrote:
> It is not about private parties and private 'stitch and witches' or such, it
> is about the public, on a Namron or other SCA forum, promotion of a
> violation of Corpora Policy, Federal Law and State Statue.

I have been bothered by the strength of this statement, so I went
looking for the relevant policies.  Maybe I've missed some changes
recently, but here is what I've found.

The Barony of Namron Mailing List has a description on the main list
information page, a link to which appears at the bottom of each email.
The first line says it "is a private forum for the members and friends
of the Barony of Namron."

In Corpora, I found nothing relevant.

The Society Seneschal's Handbook dated Oct, 2005 says: "No messages
posted to bulletin boards or general mailing lists may be considered
official communications."

On the kingdom website, the web minister has an online virtual scribe's
handbook, last revised 2003, which states: "Internet and other
Electronic Mailing lists are not considered official channels of
communication within the Society."

The Ansteorran Seneschal's Handbook of 2006 says: "Posts to electronic
media, such as email lists, bulletin boards, and blogs, are not
considered official communications. However, submitting reports by email
is permitted if the superior officer has agreed to accept reports in
that format."

Now, most of this is meant to define communication to and from officers,
and you can see they are lightening up a little on it.  But...  no
policy I can find says the mailing list defines S.C.A. policy and
inclusion or exclusion from a message is binding to the S.C.A. or
representative of its officers.

My own opinion is that mailing lists cannot *be* official communication,
they can only *supplement* official communications.  Electronic mail is
still in the "Pony Express" stage of development and there is no
guarantee of delivery (unless you are trying to sell something no one in
their right mind would buy.)  Mailing lists are quite useful for
broadcast conversation and communication, much like making announcements
during or after populace meeting by shouting into a room full of people
or like trying to have a conversation with your friends in the middle of
a concert.  One's words can be missed or mistaken.

As this mailing list is for the S.C.A. people of Namron and their
friends and neighbors (and any one else in the whole world), posts
should be relevant to the S.C.A. around here, either as an organization
or as a group of people in that organization.  Thus associated, people
should try to be polite, chivalrous, and friendly.  I am glad to see it
being used for something it is well suited for: building a community.
Thank you, Lady Samarrah and so many other regular posters.

Lord Caius, I applaud your efforts to safeguard this organization from
crossing the oft overlooked line, leaving the SCA and the Barony of
Namron at risk.  Enthusiasm will often cause people to forget to stay
within the lines.  You are pretty good at warning people in a timely
fashion without trying to run their lives.  I think you are mistaken in
this specific situation.  If you have information I am missing, though,
why don't we start the verbal tennis in private email first, and if you
can prove me wrong we can move it back here so I can apologize and
people can get the correction. Deal?

Baron Ulf Gunnarsson