[Namron] spang throwing

mikea mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Thu Apr 30 07:53:56 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 09:44:10AM -0500, Pukhta 'Pooky' Lovvek wrote:
> > I have one filled with rocks, and another filled with steel ball bearings -
> > both made from black glove leather.
> > ___________________________
> >
> > Master Barat FitzWalter Reynolds, O.L.
> > Barony of Namron, Kingdom of Ansteorra
> > barat at cox.net
> >
>  Do hoop holders get to throw the spangs back at the hewers or there
> ladies or there offspring or there windshields?
>
> Concerned targets wanna know

In my (considerable) experience, the hoop holders have in the past
returned the spangs to the tossers' various spang-buckets in the
kindest, gentlest, most loving manner possible. Frequently there have
been gentles standing downrange, near the hoop-holders, for the sole and
exclusive purpose of retrieving the spangs and returning them to the
spang-hewing line.

I would be Shocked! Shocked!!! if any of the hoop-holders were to throw
a spang at a spang-hewer or at anyone else. It Simply Is Not Done.

I do hope that everyone concerned in this part of Beltane will, while
tossing their spangs downrange in the rather general direction of
the hoop-holders, keep in mind the various folks who originated or
participated in spang-hewing in the past, but who are no longer with us.
I have in mind Baron Bjorn, Lady Catherine le Flemynge, and rather too
many more. I propose to raise a toast Saturday evening, to Absent
Friends.

--
Mike Andrews        /   Michael Fenwick    Barony of Namron, Ansteorra
mikea at mikea.ath.cx  /   Amateur Extra radio operator W5EGO