[Namron] Populace Meeting

Isobel de Kirkbryde kirkbryde at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 16:09:52 PST 2009

I've stayed out of this conversation to folks have ample time to dicuss the issue before giving my input.  I think it is extraordinarily rude to talk during Populace meetings, court, Cornonation, etc., but it does happen, especially in Ansteorra.  When I asked about this, I was told that I would NEVER attend an SCA event where there wasn't  background talk.  But, I did.  Not in Ansteorra, but in the Kingdom of Drachenwald.  I even attended a night court (where I can't see faces to read lips) and could still hear because you could hear a pin drop.  There was a tremendous amount of respect for those who held offices and were the reigning nobles.

I asked for accommodation of written notes (that took awhile to work out because I was originally told that I couldn't even ask for someone to personally take notes for me since there were no approved minutes).  I also asked for a seat near the speaker.  I was told to arrive early to get such a seat.  I did that for quite awhile at Denny's, but it was always catch as catch can as to where the speaker was going to be.  Having seating that made it clear where to sit would be most welcome.  It would help me to choose a seat that would be better for me to hear.

As far as a speaker system -- good luck paying for that.  They are expensive.  And, I don't see that it is cost effective to buy a speaker system.  I also am baffled at the thought of purchasing a $1200 system when I can't even get approval for a sign language interpreter for a mere $80 for an entire event.

Frankly, I gave up.  It wasn't worth the hassle of rushing home, trying to get everything ready for the next day in time to arrive a half hour early (for no noticable benefit) and then not be able to understand what was going on.  I would LOVE to see this issue addressed -- not only for me, but for others who have difficulty hearing.

As far as the talkers are concerned, what works best at school is to stop and wait.  If we have a time frame not only for reports, but also for the meeting -- say from 7 pm to 8:30 and people talk so that those makign reports have to wait on them and then they don't get everything covered because people talk, perhaps that will be an incentive to be courteous and not talk during the meeting.  Talk before and after is not only expected, but should be encouraged.

If the meetings become meetings, I'll be back with bells on.

Lady Isobel Margaret de Kirkbryde
Guild Head of the Guild of St. Camillus de Lellis, Kingdom of Ansteorra
Deputy Herald, Barony of Namron
V-Scribe Canton of Skorragarðr
Member of Clann Lochlan
Member of Clann Haddock