[Namron] Gulf War and Motherhood

Genevria di Betto genevria at cox.net
Thu Jan 15 14:09:45 PST 2009

We took Terick for the first time just after his first birthday and had a good time.  Adeana mentioned a wagon and I highly second that one.  You may not want to put a really little one in the wagon, but if all your things are in the wagon and you just have to carry the baby it is much easier.  This was the event that inspired me to buy my back pack basket and I love it.  You can get one from the basket guy at Gulf War and they are worth every penny.  He will help you choose a size that works with your frame and show you how to wear it comfortably.  I also loved my sling.  Terick slept through many courts and classes in a sling.

If your child is walking, please consider some kind of leading strings.  This is a big event with several thousand people.  You can buy modern harnasses very inexpensivly or make something that will look very period.  I am happy to show the one I have now to anyone who wants to examine it.  Mistress Alex made it for Thyge and Maurode's girls and it is very effective.  Please excuse the spellings of the names there too. :)

For that matter, please excuse the spelling errors that might appear all together.  My computer crashed a couple of months ago and I am using an antique laptop that just randomly locks up sometimes and has no spell checker.  It is a little frustrating to use, :) and has been keeping me from writing much.

About clothes for little ones.  I love it when a little one is all dressed up in fancy garb.  It is adorable!  So if you want to go that way I think that is great.  I have some more practical thoughts on kids clothes too.  You are going to get a variety of weather at Gulf War so you will want to be prepared.  I would recomend regular clothes on the bottom layer for warmth if necesary.  Then top it with tunics and taberds.  The easiest is to make one of the basic rectangles with a neck whole, and then make ties on the side to keep it on.  I find that a v-neck works best to get it over their heads without an oversized opening.

Be sure to keep an extra pair of shoes and socks in a sealed plastic bag.  If you get a lot of wet weather your shoes may not dry between wearings.  Children who are warm and dry make much better companions. :)

Genevria