[Namron] The Play's the Thing to Read: Selections for the Rest of the Year

Antigonus Bearbait bardsatlarge at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 22:17:00 PDT 2009

Greetings all!

For those of you who missed joining the Bunch of Us reading HAMLET, you did miss a really good time – and some really great ham & traditional Danish food.

Since the Holiday Season is soon upon us, we discussed it & decided to get a leap on scheduling through the end of the year.  I thought that I'd drop the dates here so you will know where to pencil us in on your calendar.  People seem to prefer Saturdays to Sundays, since most people work on Mondays – so we have a mixture of both.

For September, we have chosen to do an earlier Shakespeare comedy, THE TAMING OF THE SHREW – and we wanted to do just a potluck without a theme for the food.  We are planning on getting together starting at 3:00 in the afternoon on Saturday 26 September.

We thought it would be fun to read TITUS ANDRONICUS for October– and the theme is canibalism with subtleties in the shape of body parts, “finger foods,” & other Halloween-related stuff.  (Lady fingers, anyone?)  <<grin>>  This is another early play & a wonderfully bloody revenge tale.  It is scheduled for Sunday 4 October starting at 3:00 in the afternoon.

The month of November is just too full to find a date, so we do not have a planned reading.  If we can find a chance, though, I do have a really great documentary called SHAKESPEARE BEHIND BARS – which is about a prison production of THE TEMPEST. We may be able to work something in, if we can find a place to host it.

December's reading is one of the histories – RICHARD III – and we will be observing the Orthodox lenten season of our kind hosts – which means vegetarian & shellfish dishes – no other meat & no dairy products.  This is set for Saturday 19 December at 3:00 in the afternoon.

As always, we are meeting at Tadhg & Meruaud's at 1840 Burnt Oak, Norman.

I hope you all can make it

Go well, be well, & stay well -

Tiggy