[Namron] OU Medieval Film and Lecture Series

JOHN variglog at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 18 07:56:00 PDT 2011

This Wednesday's lecture will be Dante's Hell presented by Jason Houston of
the OU Dept. of Modern Languages.  Wednesday April 20, 7:00 p.m. at the OCCE
Forum.  Below is Jason's description of his presentation.

Dante's Hell

Dante's populates his Hell with famous men and women from Classical and
Christian history and myth. We find Aristotle, Plato, Lucifer, Helen of
Troy, Judas, and many other figures that still resonate today. However, the
two most famous episodes of the Dante's Inferno feature little-known
personages that Dante made (in)famous by condemning them to Hell. Canto V
tells the woeful story of Paolo and Francesca, noble lovers whose adulterous
affair brought about their untimely death and eternal condemnation for the
sin of lust. The horrific story of Count Ugolino and Archbishop Ruggieri
serves as the true climax (in this case, perhaps nadir is a better word) of
Dante's Inferno in Cantos XXXII-XXXIII. This sordid affair involves
treachery, homicide, and even cannibalism. Rather than a lecture, this will
be a joint cooperative reading of these cantos focusing on Dante's masterful
ability to tell a story resonate with multiple meanings. We will also look
at artistic representations of these two episodes the 15th through the 20th
century.

Ann Marie Eckart

Medieval Fair Coordinator

Please pass the word to SCA that this Wednesday's lecture will be Dante's
[...]

18:35:00