[Namron] Fun Things to do at Populace Meetings

Jacq Ball jacqball at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:45:44 PDT 2011

I remember the first pop meeting I attended. It was probably 1986 or
1987. The meeting was held at someone's house, near the Norman Public
Library, possibly Master Fenwick's house, certainly near there.

The first thing I saw when I walked in was a group of people playing
Dungeons & Dragons. Some people had food, still others were working on
crafts and I think there were even a few musical instruments and maybe
some singing. There were very few people compared to today, but there
was quite a bit of activity.

If I told you the Baron announced that night he was stepping down,
some members here can probably remind me of the exact date. I didn't
know anyone there, I knew nothing of whatever politics might have been
at play, but I found it moving and based on the emotional feel of the
room, I imagine everyone who was there remembers it, however they felt
about it.

This is a decades old memory of a child who felt he had stepped into a
magical realm. I may have confused some details and I certainly may
have romanticized things, but my impression of that meeting was that
people were there to enjoy it. It almost felt like the sort of revel
or bardic you'd have on a school night. It did not feel like a city
council meeting.

It would be nice to bring a bit of The Dream into our meetings and
make some more memories.

-Jacques