[Namron] Baronial Equipment - Repair List

Miles Grey Kahn at West-Point.org
Mon Apr 4 20:38:03 PDT 2011

Doug Copley wrote:

> I am starting a list of some of the things that may have been broken,
> torn, missing, or needing improvement
>
> Ropes in general -
> I would like to see us have extra ropes that stay with each tent. I
> know that we had at least one rope break this weekend (there were
> probably others that I did not know about). I don't know how to make
> the ropes that weave back in to make the loops that go over the tent
> spikes, I can tie knots but I really like the weave. If we have
> someone that can teach us maybe we could make some more ropes so that
> each tent has spares and we can color the wooden pieces that same as
> the poles.

Eye splices and Matthew Walker knots (the "correct" knot to use on the
tensioner end of the rope) are very easy.  I'd be happy to make a few
spare tent ropes and equally happy to teach people how to do the splice
and the knot.  Manila is better rope than sisal if you can find good
manila.  I'll see what I can find.

  Miles Grey

PS - a properly turned-in eye splice retains 85-95% of the original
strength of the rope.  Knots - even a well-tied bowline - retain only
about 60-65% of the rope strength.  The overhand loop knot (the one seen
on most tent ropes) retains only about 55% of the rope's strength.