[Namron] March 2011 Officer Meeting Notes

Jacq Ball jacqball at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 08:16:09 PDT 2011

You have some misconceptions. The words "secret" or "hide" are a bit
strong in regard to this issue. What was proposed was eliminating
repetition of the exact same statements ad nauseum. For example, in my
case, I announce at every pop meeting, the time and location of our
rapier practice. I say it at every meeting, it's on the website and in
the plume. It hasn't changed in a long time, perhaps a year. I don't
think it's possible to make that secret or hidden at this point.
Anyone who is actively playing already knows.

The feeling I had is that anyone who cares about rapier knows when and
where the practices are already and the people who don't care about
rapier probably don't care anyway. Based on that, I wondered if
repeating the time and place of practice each time was of any value or
interest to either group.

Incidentally, it may interest you to know that this issue was raised
by Alexander and myself, the Knights Marshal and Rapier Marshal,
respectively. Our reports typically go like this "We have practice at
Sellers center on Tuesday or Wednesday a 7pm. Practices are going
well. Come out to practice, we'd love to have you." That's not
anything we want to hide. If someone wants to come out to practice and
fight, we absolutely want them there.

There is no intent to omit useful, relevant information. If we change
the time or place of practice, then I will announce that prominently.
When we needed some loaner gear, we announced our intent to purchase
said gear to the populace and would continue to do so.

My own plan for future reports is to focus on information I think will
be more interesting and valuable to the populace. I plan to mention
the formidable presence of Namron's rapier fighters at the Wiesenfeuer
Baronial. Orlando, Donnchadh, Lorenzo and myself all had good days on
the field and we really felt like a Namron fighting unit, not just
each of us fighting for himself. I have specific things I will say
about each of these people at the next meeting. I think that's the
sort of thing people might want to know about our rapier community,
even if they don't fight themselves. If you didn't see the rapier
fighting, then you really did miss something.

Similarly, did I mention there will be a rapier tavern brawl at
Beltane at the last pop meeting? I think everyone knows when and where
our practices are, but it's entirely possible I neglected to mention
the tavern brawl. I think that is useful information:someone who might
want to participate if they knew, might not even bring their gear
otherwise. I honestly don't recall if I mentioned that at the last
meeting, but that is the kind of thing that I want to focus on.

I hope that clarifies things. If everybody really wants it, then by
all means Alexander and I will restate the time and place of practice
at each pop meeting. Regardless, I have set a challenge to myself to
include the sort of valuable information I think our populace will
want to hear. If I fail to mention something you want to know about,
ask me. I will try to remember to say at each meeting "If anybody who
wants to know more about rapier, please ask me."

-Jacques