[Namron] New info re: Free Lecture - "The Camino de Santiago & Early Spanish Literature"

Eckart, Ann M. ameckart at ou.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:19:54 PDT 2012

New information about tonight's lecture: "By the way, he (Luis Cortest) is arranging to have a couple rare books brought to his presentation as show-and-tell, I think from the history of science collections. (I'm pretty sure they're facsimiles of some of a couple of the more important Spanish vernacular manuscripts of the the High/Late Middle Ages.)"

"The Camino de Santiago & Early Spanish Literature."
Medieval Fair Free Lecture Series
Friday September 14th, 6:30 pm at the Norman Public Library
A/B Room, 225 N. Webster

Luis Cortest, Professor of Spanish, Director of the Center for Medieval and Renaissance Studies at the University of Oklahoma and an expert in medieval Iberian culture, discusses the fascinating history of the one of the most important medieval pilgrimage routes, Spain's Camino de Santiago, and the importance of the monasteries on the route in the formation of early Spanish vernacular literature.  He will talk at length about the role of the important poet Gonzalo de Berceo (circa 1197-circa 1264) in this tradition with special emphasis on Berceo's hagiographic texts.

Come learn more about the Middle Ages just for the fun of learning!  No papers, no tests, just interesting information about life long ago.

Ann Marie Eckart
Medieval Fair Coordinator
Phone 405-325-8610     Fax 405-325-0860
ameckart at ou.edu<mailto:ameckart at ou.edu>