[Namron] Letter of Intent for Baron and Baroness of the Barony of Namron - Maistir TadhgmacÁedáin uíChonchobhair and H.L. Meraud de Dun Carraig

Valena De Sonna valena326 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 27 14:48:19 PST 2014

Their Royal Majesties, Aaron and Nicollet, and Their Stellar Highnesses, Sven and
Antigone, are entreated to hear these humble words of petition from Maistir Tadhg
macÁedáin uíChonchobhair, OL, and Honorable Lady Meraud de Dun Carraig.

We seek the indulgence of Your Majesties and Your Highnesses in considering our
application to succeed Their Excellencies Orlando and Caterina as Baron and Baroness of
Namron. We come to this request only after discussions within our family and with the encouragement of various Peers, Nobles and members of the populace.

Within this folio, please find separate papers documenting our 25-year sojourn through
the Society. We earnestly hope that You will find within these pages adequate
qualifications for this noble post.

More important are our goals and plans regarding the exercise of our duties as Baron and
Baroness—should we be called upon to fill those positions.

Our goals are simple: encourage the growth of the group and foster stability in the
Barony. We believe that in pursuing these goals Namron will find anew the glory it has
known so well.

With regard to growth of the Barony, we have two principal concerns: the overall
number of active members and the personal growth of each member. In spite of enjoying
a vital and dynamic canton, Namron remains one of the smaller baronies in Ansteorra.
We feel it is essential that the population be increased through encouraging the return of
older members who have drifted away and actively recruiting new members—especially
by retaining new recruits from the University of Oklahoma’s Medieval Faire.

In addition, a positive political atmosphere must be encouraged within the Barony as the
contrary has tended to drive other members out. While this speaks more to the issue of
stability, the goal is for Namron to continue and increase its ability to support the
Kingdom through the active participation of all who live within its borders. These
members—both new and old—must be given a welcome place to work, learn, and grow.
We wish to foster an environment which provides equally for all endeavors: fighters,
artisans, and those of service alike. The Barony must be a place where all can pursue
their own individual portion of The Dream. The Dream belongs to no one person, no
single viewpoint—It is a shared thing, made richer by each and every person. Only
through all their combined works will the Barony flourish as a gem in the North.

With regard to stability, we can but pledge our sincerest efforts to bring it to pass.
Namron has earned past notoriety but we believe that Orlando and Caterina have helped
to make this a thing of the past. We pledge to continue that success and feel prepared to
weather whatever issue may come. To that end, we feel certain qualities are necessary
for each person in these offices: the will must be strong; the ears must be good; the
judgment must be fair; the heart must be compassionate; and when the need arises, the
countenance must be resolute. All these things are necessary to ensure the Baron and
Baroness are noble representatives of Your Majesties, and we feel our 25 years have
allowed us to obtain all these qualities.

Through our travels and our times in the Society, we have found one true philosophy in
every good Baron, Baroness, and Seneschal: the individual must wait while the office is
served. When anyone sees fit to take such offices as these, they must lay aside their
personal goals, their personal concerns and grievances, and often their personal rights.
When they take up these mantles, they become the Office. Whatever priorities they had
as individuals are subsumed by the priorities of the Barony—the well being and health of
the Barony are paramount. It is imperative to understand that personal attacks against
them are part and parcel of their position—retaliation is not. My wife and I have both
served in the seneschallate—we both know the price of that office and we believe it to be
an essential precursor for the Baron and Baroness. The location matters little; the
experience itself is indispensable.

All too often we have heard the older members pine for a bygone day when things were
simpler and richer. It is our sincere conviction that such times are not in the past but are
simply in need of rediscovery. Our Barony moves toward the future; Its place is there.
We wish only the opportunity to aid Its travel to that new place before us. We are
committed to that vision and feel able to undertake whatever works are necessary if You
should judge us worthy.

As Barone Orlando and Baronessa Caterina have done such an outstanding job during
Their tenure, we foresee small changes that will reinforce the great strides they have
made: grow the feeling of community in a time where technology has worked to distance
us, expand the welcome for families, and enforce the importance of pageantry and
presentation for the SCA—inside and outside of meetings and events.

It is our hope that these words have not been too lengthy. Your Time is precious and we
hope we have not overspent it on this petition.

We extend our sincerest thanks for Your Consideration in this matter. May God grant
You Strength and Wisdom in Your Works and Travels.

As ever we remain Your humble servants,

Tadhg    Meraud

To this missive we put our hands, this 20th day of January, A.S. XLVIII in the Barony of
Namron, Kingdom of Ansteorra