NR - Court & Herald Idea

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Thu Feb 26 14:55:49 PST 1998

> My question: When the long court discussion comes up, why do we always
> think AoA's are the culprit?
> Ly. Britta the Red

I think AoA's were just a general example.  The majority of court
awards are AoA level awards (Thistles, Cranes, Comets, AoAs, etc.).
It really doesn't make any difference in the level of the awards
given out - I've been to a couple of courts where grant level awards
outnumbered the AoA level awards.

If I had to pick a culprit for long courts, it really wouldn't be the
awards I'd pick on.  Awards need to be given in Court (there are
exceptions to this in special cases).   The presentation of gifts,
contest prizes, thank-you's etc. easily take up as much time as
awards and are often where we lose the audiences interest.  Still, if
someone has been practicing hard for months (years) and goes out and
wins the knife throwing competition, they deserve public recognition
for their efforts and I, for one, am not for taking that out of
court.  The same with *special* gifts.

I guess I feel that if we took more time to plan courts and organize
presentations we might be able to streamline stuff a bit more.  Also,
I think we miss opportunities to present stuff in morning and
afternoon courts.  I received my AoA in a morning court and don't
feel slighted by that in the least.  These things might not save much
time, but every little bit helps.

Here's another idea.  How about if feast was less a "social" time and
more a time for everyone to get together and enjoy special
presentations and/or special performances (bardic, dance, other).
Personally, I miss getting to see the best our performing artists
have to offer.  Just a  thought....

-  Kat  >"<
Lori Campbell
lcampbel at ossm.edu

"there is a fine line between fishing
 and standing on the shore like an idiot"