NR - Painting Leather

Cameron Lewis camlewis at swbell.net
Fri Jul 30 11:59:08 PDT 1999

APRIL GILLILAN wrote:

> I am wanting to paint the leather parts of my armor. Does anyone have any
> suggestions as to what to use? I don't want to re-do it in a year, and it
> will be used for fighting, so I don't want it to come off easily. I am
> assuming that leather dye would be best, but it spreads so easily that you
> can't paint small areas with it. Will fabric paint flake off? How about
> magic markers or something similar?
>
> Gilyan
> Mooneschadowe

Most paint that will be bright enough to see will flake or wear off
after a year or so.  An oil based paint will be tougher and soak into
the leather where a water based paint would not.  I would guess that the
paint pens you can buy at hobby lobby would work well on leather but
make sure it is an oil based...clean up with alcohol or mineral spirits

Sir Alrek
summer is over and the Art teacher part starts again