NR - NR- Warlord

Rebecca M. Heydon rmheydon at swbell.net
Wed Aug 30 10:43:28 PDT 2000

I have been reading the various posts on Warlord and Tribute with interest.
Some very valid points have been raised and some legitimate concerns as
well.  I, too, would like to throw in my two pence worth.  My apologies if I
offend or sound terse for that is not my intent.  I find this subject to be
a most worthy one for discussion.....

(Aelfwyn wrote):

> Suggestions for NRW:
> 1. Get it on a specific date on the calendar & keep it there. All the
> calendar hopping confuses people. One of the reasons for NRT's success is
> that people know when it is going to be & can plan their schedules
> accordingly.
> 2. Have it in the Spring or Fall when the weather is cooler!

Yes, having it on the same weekend (or at least in the same month) every
year would be
a good idea.  However, this last year, the Kingdom Calendar Deputy (KCD)
flat out refused to put the event on any of the dates chosen by the Northern
Regional Seneschal.  The KCD wasn't pleased about putting NRW across from
Artisan because that's such a big event for the rest of the kingdom.  The
fact is, consideration for the NRW date is put in the context of the entire
kingdom event calendar.  Finding a date acceptable to the Southern half of
the kingdom for our Northern Regional event is becoming increasingly
difficult.

> 3. Don't lay responsibility for organizing next event on the shoulders of
> the winner. If that's been the case in the past, it's a wonder that you've
> had any competitors at all! It's a regional event; if we can't find enough
> people in the region to help it run smoothly, then it doesn't need to
> happen. The Warlord should be in charge of the competition for the next
> Warlord, period. No site finding/date-setting, etc. That's what autocrats
&
> regional seneschals are for.

To my rememberance, for several years running now, the Warlord has had
nothing to do with the autocratting of the event.  Yes, the Warlord is
responsible for running the Warlord competition but that's it. As with other
Regional events, more than one sponsoring group works on coordinating the
various aspects of Warlord just as several groups are responsible for
putting together Tribute. Letters were sent out by the Northern Regional
Seneschal to the Seneschals of all the groups in the Northern region asking
for sponsoring groups and/or autocrats.  Everyone in the Regions had (and
has) the same opportunity to help.

> 4. Hype, hype, hype! I'm old enough (barely!) to remember Brother
Ricardo's
> Traveling War Show. For those of you who don't, find someone even more
> decrepit than myself & ask them to fill you in.

Blackstar and e-mail announcements for certain.  And truthfully, I have yet
to see an event in this kingdom that was over publicized.  However, as in
years past, the autocrats worked on spreading the word.  What sort of
further hype would you suggest?

> 5. Make it fun, not only for the fighters, but for the noncombatants, as
> well. Creative scenarios, alternate activities (maybe a competition for
the
> group that produces the most/best war banners &/or tabards?), & maybe a
Fun
> With Siege Engines segment. (If any of this has already been done, ignore
> me; I haven't been able to make the last couple)

Again, some wonderful ideas.  Are you volunteering to spearhead some of
these for next year? :-)  (I am more than willing to help if so!)

All of the suggestions provided are wonderful but I have yet to see anyone
step forward and say, "I'll do it!"  I have participated in the Warlord
competition as well as helped in various other capacities with the event
over the past several years. I have also helped with Tribute in various
capacities, as well.  I do not want to see Warlord die nor be over-shadowed
by Northern Regional Tribute.  In my world, the events are very different in
purpose and perspective and both offer things as individual Regional events
not necessarily duplicated by the other.  With the vast numbers of people
living in the Northern Region, I find it very difficult to believe that
capable people cannot be found to work on both the events no matter how
close they are to other events on the calendar.  (Course, I have also been
Seneschal and realize that ideals are one thing and practical application
something else).

So, I am putting myself out on the line here.  *I* would be more than happy
to start working on Northern Regional Warlord now for next year (barring my
unforseen death by the hand of  Northkeeps' Seneschal and/or Baron/Baroness
after they read this missive). :-)

In service to the Northern Region,

Rowan