NR - Northern Regional Tribute

Burke McCrory burkemc2 at home.com
Sun Dec 31 20:12:49 PST 2000

At 09:01 PM 12/31/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>On 31 Dec 00, at 20:27, HEGitana at aol.com wrote:
> > The seneschal's office now dictates that this event *will* happen and
> > apparently has total control over everything to do with it.  This takes it
> > away from the people and puts it in the hands of the
> administration.  Because
> > this event it is a fund raiser for the Kingdom, this makes it feel like
> > taxation and not the act of generosity that was originally
> intended.  That is
> > an enormous change of focus in my humble opinion.
>
>This is an interesting point, if true.  Hopefully the Kingdom Seneschal can
>answer this question:  is the kingdom dictating that NRT *will* happen, and
>happen as a true regional-sponsored (as opposed to sole group-sponsored)
>event, or is it dictating that *if* NRT happens that it will be a true
>regional-
>sponsored event?
>
>I'm not too thrilled about the former; I can certainly live with the
>latter.  (And
>indeed, I'm one of those relatively-newcomers who innocently thought the
>"Regional" in the name meant it was regionally-sponsored, not individually-
>sponsored...)
>
>-Emma de Fetherstan

Emma,

I can answer that point for you and in the process perhaps clear up a
couple of misconceptions along the way.

Many years ago when HE Gitana came up with the idea for NRT it was to fill
the void in Wiesenfeuer's calender left after the Wolfstar tourney had been
"taken on the road" by the household.  This was just about the same time
that the then Kingdom Seneschal Sir Frederick changed the rules concerning
the number of "kingdom calender events" groups could hold each year in an
attempt to manage the overcrowded Kingdom calender.  In these new rules was
what he called "regional calender events", events that would be sponsored
by three or more groups and would not count against the event limits of any
one group.  Later under Mistress Maire's tenure as Kingdom seneschal the
operating policies and rules concerning these "regional calender events
(RCE)" were worked out.  A great deal of the catalyst for working out the
details of RCE was the success of the NRT.  That event was generating
interest in RCE in other parts of the Kingdom and we had to come up with
answers to the questions that were being raised.  Over the last seven years
every region of the Kingdom (including the north) has put on a number of
RCE and last year the Southern Region put on a Regional Fair that was
modeled very closely to NRT.  As to whether NRT was a  true "regional
calender event" or not, depends on who you ask.  I know that it has been
treated as one by the Kingdom for event counting purposes for at least the
last 5 years.  HE Gitana and I had many discussions and disagreements on
the topic and in the end we had to agree to disagree.  Either way, it did
not really effect the event or the success of the event.  Last year when it
was indicated that Wiesenfeuer was not going to host the event again
(having successfully hosted the first six) the seneschallet and the Crown
decided that there was sufficient interest in the Region to place the event
up for bid in much the same way that a Kingdom event is bid for.  The
Eldern Hills bid with Master Artorius ap Caradoc as the coordinating
autocrat was chosen and the event was a success.  This new procedure for
bidding a truly region wide event was again a breaking of new ground, but
that is nothing new for NRT.  It has been successfully breaking new ground
ever since HE Gitana hosted the first one.  As to your question "is the
kingdom dictating that NRT *will* happen" the answer is No, the Kingdom is
not mandating that NRT will happen.  If there had been no bids, the event
would not have happened.

One more thing,  the reason that the region's cannot host events is that
they do not officially exist in a legal sense.  Under current Kingdom
policy and law they cannot have bank accounts or commit to contracts and
the like.  When we hosted the ATYC event two years ago it was the Kingdom
that was the hosting group.  I hope that this answers your questions.

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald, OP