NR - Principality

Chuck_CTR_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov Chuck_CTR_Graves at mmacmail.jccbi.gov
Tue Sep 5 08:31:25 PDT 2000

Greetings from Tadhg.

Sir Burke noted:

One point that needs to be interjected here is that a Principality does not have
to lead to a split with your mother Kingdom.  The Board has embraced the concept
of perpetual principalities for some time.  Look at the Principality of the
Mists in the West Kingdom.  If you ask them they will tell you quite strongly
that they will never be a separate kingdom and are very proud to be a part of
the West Kingdom.

With all due respect, the West Kingdom is the only kingdom that has maintained
"perpetual principalities", all other principalities have become kingdoms (or
are in the process of it.)

In the SCA, it is the natural course of events...and we should view it in that
way.

If the people of the North wish to form a principality, they should consider
that it will be a passing phase. Whether the process takes 2 years or 10, the
final outcome will be a kingdom. We are not known for doing things in
portions...we do them to completion and we do them well!

What concerns me most is that we do things in a positive way. The reasons for
forming a principality should never include "The Southerners don't respect us."
That sounds like a 6-year-old: "If you don't like me, I'll just go play in my
backyard!"

Sir Burke also wrote:

Pro's
Greater Unity
Greater Local Control
Protection and preservation of local customs and flavor.
A Royal representative for the people in the area.
Awards that are strictly for work done in the area.

Con's
You can get a bad Prince and Princess
A tendency to encourage people to stay home in the Principality and not travel.

I don't believe "Greater Unity" is Pro...I think it is a prerequisite. Calling
it a Pro gives the allusion that the North doesn't have enough Unity so we'll
create It by forming a principality.

I have two questions for His Excellency Burke:
    1) what area or function needs more "Local Control"?
    2) what "customs and flavor" are we in jeopardy of losing by    continuing
to participate as we do now?

With regard to an increased Royal Presence, I could agree but it cuts both ways.
Groups will see the Crown Prince/Princess more often but probably the Crowns
less often...at least at home.

Also, keep in mind that adding Principality awards gives people a greater chance
of recognition but an additional step in their elevation. Though it is
subconscious, you may find that people won't be considered for Kingdom awards
until they have the Principality awards first.

Okay, the Devil's Advocate is finished.

For the record, I am not opposed to Principality. It is a natural thing. In
time, we grow, we learn, and we leave home to stand on our own. But when we pack
our bags, it is better not to carry things that sour us. If you carry ill
feelings, they will be with you always.

Regards,
Tadhg

"Respect is not given, it is earned."