NR - Principality

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Mon Sep 4 17:48:31 PDT 2000

> Tadgh said:
> With regard to an increased Royal Presence, I could
> agree but it cuts both ways. Groups will see the Crown
> Prince/Princess more often but probably the Crowns
> less often...at least at home.

I agree with this statement.  A prince and princess would take a
great deal of the workload off a Crown that is already pushed to
travel from one end of the kingdom to the other.  It would be
much easier to say "I don't need to travel there, they have
their own royalty."  Also, the new Prince and Princess would
relieve the Regional Landed Nobilty from the responsibility of
holding court at Shire events in the absence of the Crown.

Personally, I like having the Crown visit us several times a year to
conduct business.  It keeps things fresh and keeps folks traveling
North from other regions (folks go where the Crown goes).

> Also, keep in mind that adding Principality awards gives people
> a greater chance of recognition but an additional step in their
> elevation. Though it is subconscious, you may find that people
>  won't be considered for Kingdom awards until they have the
> Principality awards first.

That was one of my biggest concerns.  Instead of the Arts and
Sciences track being:  Thistle to Iris to Laurel, it'll be Thistle
to principality A&S award, to Iris, to Laurel (or some variation of
that).

I've heard folks say "it'll be easier to get new peers in a
principality."  The truth is, it will always take a King and Queen to
create new peers.  The peerages, being polling orders, are always
going to want to see kingdom-wide travel from candidates before they
will agree that person should be elevated.  It'd be nice to think
that peers in other regions would sit back and say "what ever the
peers in that principality want they can have" but I don't see it
happening.

Also, there is the White Scarf issue to consider.

Look at the difficulty the North has traditionally had in getting
recognition for our rapier community.  Almost never is a Northern
rapier fighter elevated to the Order of the White Scarf unless that
fighter travels extensively throughout the kingdom.  Although the WS
is a grant level award and technically could be given by a Prince or
Princess, I just don't see the Queen giving her right to bestow
that order to a Coronet.  In fact, I think you'd see WWIII from
the Dons of the Kingdom should it even be suggested.

Just my perspective.

Kat