NR - Principality

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Tue Sep 5 10:12:38 PDT 2000

At 10:31 AM 9/5/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings from Tadhg.
>
>Sir Burke noted:
>
>One point that needs to be interjected here is that a Principality does
>not have
>to lead to a split with your mother Kingdom.  The Board has embraced the
>concept
>of perpetual principalities for some time.  Look at the Principality of the
>Mists in the West Kingdom.  If you ask them they will tell you quite strongly
>that they will never be a separate kingdom and are very proud to be a part of
>the West Kingdom.
>
>With all due respect, the West Kingdom is the only kingdom that has maintained
>"perpetual principalities", all other principalities have become kingdoms (or
>are in the process of it.)

I am not sure that I agree with that statement.  While it is true that the
principalities in the West have existed the longest I would point out that
the principalities in An Tir have existed for more that 6 years and I don't
see any evidence of their looking to become Kingdoms.  My discussions on
the matter with Board members actually showed that the Board has not been
actively encouraging principalities to look towards Kingdom status for some
time.  Most of the Principalities in the past were formed when Kingdoms
were very large in size.  Only in the west Kingdom do you have smaller
principalities forming.  I would submit that the West model is much closer
to what we have here in Ansteorra than the Atenveldt model of a Kingdom
spanning 1500 miles across.

Burke