NR - Principality

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Mon Sep 4 19:21:55 PDT 2000

> I don't feel that the Wests model is at all close to us. They are a
> Kingdom that is full of principalities and little else over a great
> part of the Pacific Rim. Now we might be that way eventually,
> but I don't see a need to chop us up that small.

I agree.  The West Coast is *incredibly* dense population-wise
(like stacking Dallas on top of Ft. Worth).  They have to chop
themselves into itty bitty pieces just to give everyone the chance to
play (not to mention it can be a several hour drive just to get
out of San Francisco).  Comparing us to the East coast is, in my
mind, like comparing apples to watermelons.

I'm with Tadgh in that most principalities are formed with an eye to
becoming kingdoms.  This is an eventuality I don't think the state of
Oklahoma could ever aspire to.

Not too many years ago the entire state of Oklahoma didn't have the
population of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex.  Texas, for all its
big cities, has a rather sparse population for it's huge land area.

Since SCA participation pretty much mirrors actual population
density.  I think if the North formed it's own Principality that's
all it could ever hope to be.  I know this is fine for some, just
not for me.  Caid (southern Calif.) and Trimaris (Florida) are the
only kingdoms whose land area is similar to Oklahoma's. However, both
states average 200-270 people per square mile, whereas
Oklahoma has 48.  To me that speaks volumes about whether or
not it would ever be possible for Oklahoma to become our own
kingdom.

I'll probably never support the concept of the North becoming a
Principality because, though I'm all for getting on the road
to go places, the idea of our own principality just seems a dead
end street.  It would also serve to increase the level of beaurocracy
between us and the Crown which in my mind is never a good thing.

Kat