NR - Principality

Phillip Stallcup PStallcup at MMCABLE.COM
Fri Sep 8 21:15:22 PDT 2000

Lord Chandranath,

	I was only saying how interesting it was that in our wonderful organization
we have people trying as hard as they can to get more work to do.  I'm not
saying it's wrong, just amusing.  After all, you know me, I'm not afraid of
hard work, or loafing for that matter :), and now that I've stepped down
from Knight Marshal, I am rediscovering parts of the SCA that although I
hadn't forgotten, I had not seen in some time.  Sometimes we forget that
this is a volunteer organization, and even those in 'power' that get
criticized volunteered, sometimes fought, to be in that position so that the
rest of us could enjoy the dream.

Ld Llygoden Llwyd

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-northern at ansteorra.org [mailto:owner-northern at ansteorra.org]On
Behalf Of Chandranath
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 8:22
To: northern at ansteorra.org
Subject: Re: NR - Principality

On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 08:04:46AM -0500, Phillip Stallcup wrote:
> Speaking of job, isn't it funny how so many aspire to have higher ranks,
> which in turn give responsibilities that at some point start taking away
> from the activities they did to achieve the award in the first place?  I'm
> not being negative, really I'm smiling, but take a King/Queen who is a
> Pelican who got the Pelican for say cleaning/setup/helping at every event,
> they would find it difficult to do that as King or Queen.

Lord Llyogden, I'm not sure I see the point behind your example.  In nine
months from becoming Prince or Princess, the person you describe would still
be a Pelican, but would no longer be a royal.  This is the wisdom of the
system as it stands; a royal is something that some of us (not all of us,
but
I have no intention of releasing _that_ djinn) can aspire to be, perhaps
achieve, and then are done.  Maybe our hypothetical person will do it again.
Maybe they'll do it five or six times. :)  But the activities are a forever
kind of opportunity, because they'll be there when the reign ends.  This
applies to landed Baron/esses, too, on a longer scale; when they choose to
end
their term, the activities'll still be there.  Heck, milord, you yourself
are
a Knight Marshal.  The fact is that it gives responsibilities, as you say,
that may take away from activities you did to get where you are.  If it
doesn't, well, good for you. :)  If it does, those activities will be there
when you are no longer Knight Marshal.

Okay, that went a little long.  My point is that the SCA -- to me -- is
great
because you can reinvent your hobby every day.  I am not commending
abdicating
responsibilities -- nor do I think the example above describes someone doing
that.  After, say, ten years of serving by being a leader in event setup,
being royals for a term might be a fun change.  I did heraldry, now I focus
on
rapier, and play music on the side.  Her Excellency Gunhilda -- a Pelican,
while we're talking about them -- has in the last couple of years taken up
rapier fighting.  On the other hand, Countess Kayleigh, while a Dona, became
Queen.  It is this ability to shift focus around that keeps the SCA new and
fresh, I believe, and what permits many people (myself included, being of
notoriously short attention span) to play for years upon years.  Growth is
good.

The last point being exactly why I support principality.  (You knew I'd work
it in.) :)

Chandra

--
Lord Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy