NR - Principality: Time to table this discussion?

Aunt Dwen auntdwen at peakonline.com
Sun Sep 10 09:05:35 PDT 2000

Greetings Unto the List,
Ceridwen here:

    I have enjoyed the very positive tone of the list of late.  Thanks to
everyone for keeping it civil and polite!

    I do want to restate the wise words of others, however, in suggesting
that while it is an interesting intelltectual exercise, we are proceeding
too far in our discussions of names, heraldry, etc.  I believe that the
suggestion to table this conversation until we've had opportunities to
discuss it with the very large number of people who are Not on line with us
is a good one.

    The establishment of a new group--whether canton, shire, barony or
principality--is destined to be a highly emotionally charged event.  I can
say from personal experience that I was stunned by the reactions of some of
my closest friends and relatives when The Wastelands began the process of
becoming a canton (then shire, but that was per the Board and had nothing to
do with our relationship with Wiesenfeuer).  It was perceived by a small
number of people as a betrayal of our home group (Wiesenfeuer) and that it
diminished the Barony both in size (losing the zipcodes) and in warm bodies
who would work for her.  The reactions were emotional, somewhat irrational
and difficult to work through but not necessarily wrong--just a different
perspective.  I anticipate the same reactions from members of this region
and the kingdom at large when we take the principality discussion to the
populace at large.

    It is my hope that we can reduce the amount of strong negative feelings
by being inclusive of all persons with an opinion in our discussions
(whether they're online or not), respectful of the varied points of view of
the members of this kingdom, and understanding of the need for lots of time
and patience in bringing this thing to pass, if it is to be.

    While we await word from HE Sigen about the possibility of  the first
(of no doubt many) discussions at Rundel, could we please table this
discussion in favor of other topics?  I'm with HL Estril in wondering where
we've left the NR Warlord and NR Tribute Discussions...

Blessings,

Dwen