NR - Period Food (was Soup Kitchen)

Lee McGoodwin etienett at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 22:45:14 PDT 2000

    I have eaten Baric's food both at SCA feasts and
mundanely at his home.  I would be willing to act as a
guinney pig for his experiments.  He does good!!!!
    I have helped Baroness Mairin with feasts on many
occasions--from planning to serving.  I think her
cooking philosophy is much like Bear's.  It would be
nice if more SCA cooks developed a similar attitude.
    I can't say that every period recipe I've tried
has been to my liking, but I always try them.  Often,
it is only a flavor(s) I'm not accostom too, and
cannot otherwise fault the cook.

Lady Etienett

> I think it is a mistake to create a feast to the
> Lowest Common Denominator.
> Different people have different tastes and I think
> the key to a great feast
> is to provide a variety and surfeit of food, that no
> one will leave the
> table starving, even if they choose to pass on a
> number of the dishes.
> Success to me is a room full of stuffed lords and
> ladies and at least a
> break even on the expenses.
>
> My view is period food is appealing if properly
> prepared, and that the
> adventuresome souls of the SCA deserve as fine a
> fare as I can produce for a
> reasonable price.  Yes, there are dishes that I'm
> certain only the most
> venturesome would touch, but there are so many
> appealing period dishes, that
> there is no reason to use the outre recipes, much
> less modern recipes.
>
> For example, I will be preparing the Protectorate
> Feast this year.  My menu
> consists of period Tudor, Elizabethan, and Jacobean
> recipes from original
> sources (with one or two of questionable origin),
> interpreted and adapted by
> me for this feast.  A feaster may not like some of
> the individual dishes,
> but overall they should enjoy the feast if I prepare
> the dishes properly.
> For myself, I've had modern equivalents of every
> dish in the menu and that
> the differences should be less than that of eating
> Chinese food.
>
> The menu I am planning is:
>
> Manchet
> Jumbals
>
> First Course
>
> Whiting with Apple and Wine Sauce
> Chicken with Orange Sauce
> Sweet Spinach Tart
> Sweet Potatoes
>
> Second Course
>
> Roast Beef
> Rice Pudding
> Boyled Peascods (although I may have to make do with
> frozen peas)
>
> Entremet
>
> Shrewsbury Cakes
>

> I expect the whiting and the spinach tart to be the
> least favored dishes,
> but I may be surprised.  I do not recommend this
> feast to anyone who cannot
> stand the Four Horsemen of Elizabethan Cooking;
> cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and
> sugar.
>
> When I started, I did a lot of "perioid" and ethnic
> recipes.  With each
> successive feast, I have worked at making my recipes
> more period, more
> thematic, and more locale and time specific.  I see
> no reason to limit
> myself or the people who attend my feasts a small
> subset of the recipes
> which are available.  There are times I succeed and
> times I fail to achieve
> my goals, but over 25 years in the SCA, I've had
> very few people complain
> [...]

=====
No light shines on the mind protected
No light shines on the fangs neglected
Run with the wolfpack.      (song lyrics)