NR - Principality name

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Wed Sep 13 05:54:07 PDT 2000

At 12:18 AM 9/13/00 -0400, Fionnafan wrote:
>>Ok....I like the general feel for this. I gave a list of local raptors,
>>anyone wanna give a list of monsters or fantastic creatures that were thought
>>to inhabit wide open country or thinly populated areas? That might be worth
>>taking into consideration for future discussions, on and offline.
>>Getting folks involved in the creation of symbols and traditions is a great
>>outlet for patriotism.

Just to make this completely informed:

"Griffin (1), griffon, gryphon
1-b. A representation or figure of a griffin, as in Heraldry, Sculpture, etc.
2. A vulture; now = griffon-vulture (see 4).
3. transf. A grim-looking or extremely vigilant guardian. (Cf. dragon.)
4. attrib. and Comb., as griffin-beaked, -guarded, -like, -winged adjs.;
griffin's foot, a surgical instrument, so called from its form;
griffon-vulture, a vulture of the genus Gyps, esp. G. fulvus.
Griffin(2)
A European newly arrived in India, and unaccustomed to Indian ways
and peculiarities; a novice, new-comer, greenhorn.
Griffin(3)
(U.S.) A mulatto: see GRIFF n.4
Griffin(4)
A tip (in betting, etc.); a signal, hint. Cf. GRIFF n.6"

"Griffon(1)
(obs. rare) a Greek (from at least the 1300s).
Griffon(2)
A species of coarse-haired dog, resembling a terrier. Brussels griffon
(also griffon Belge, Bruxelles or Bruxellois), a small griffon of European
origin, with a short nose, flat face, prominent eyes and reddish-brown hair.
Griffin(3)
see GRIFF n.4, GRIFFIN1."

Marc/Diarmaid