NR - Identity

Merrik Viltar Har merrikviltarhar at swbell.net
Tue Sep 5 11:04:53 PDT 2000

Baroness Kat offered:
(((#1)))
> The perception that Ansteorra is Texas?  The only way to fix that is
> for northerners to go South (sorry, there's no other way).  Whether
> it does "any good" or not is relative to what you are trying to
> accomplish.
(((#2)))
> We had folks at Wiesenfeuer last weekend from Stargate, Gate's Edge
> (Stargate's Canton), Bryn Gwlad, Rosenfeld, Elfsea and Steppes (and
> that's just the one's I know of).  If you get past the fact that it
> was amazing *anyone* was willing to play in 112 degree heat, to have
> folks travel from so far to come to our event was a wonderful thing.
> I'm reasonably sure they didn't come to promote our region or their
> own.  I'm almost certain they came to spend time with their friends.
(((#3)))
> Those folks know Oklahomans are Ansteorrans.  But it took
> some of us traveling to their areas to say "hey, we want to be
> friends."  I've said it before, it's a give and take.  If all we do
> is sit up here and say "I'm waiting for *them* to give first" or "it
> never helps to travel down south" then we only reinforce the
> isolation.
> Kat

(((#1)))
There is always more than one way to skin a cat, [ :) for the humor
impaired, just a pun...].  If the only way to fix it is for the North to
"cow-town" (Oklahoma pun for the humor impaired) to the South, does that
mean the South is too self important, self absorbed or simply incapable of
noticing their Northern "cousins", or are you saying that the North is
incapable of offering anything the South might be interested in?
Either way, IMNSHO, I don't think so, the ONLY way to fix it is to work
together, North and South, to accomplish what is best for all, to make the
best choices we can to have fun, deal with the fact that today is tomorrows
history.
(((#2)))
ODIN, BLESSED BE, did you mention, spending time with friends, "now" that
may be the only way to fix it, to understand that change is not personal,
and to make the best of those changes... The South may be the strength of
Ansteorra, but it is the South, and we are the North, two sides of one great
coin, it is time to strike the identity we want on our side of the coin,
play the game well, be hospitable, and make the North of Ansteorra one hell
of a place to go and enjoy the S.C.A., despite politics or geography.  This
is a chance to make an problem into a solution.
(((#3)))
If the game is worth being played, then isolation is irrelevant.  As long as
the enjoyment DOESN'T get beaten out of it, Northerners and Southerners,
S.C.A.ers from around the world travel much farther than our simple problem
of North and South.  The problem of North and South for Ansteorra is that it
is "extremely" difficult to play "kingdom" on a weekend basis.  This is the
problem, Ansteorra is TOO damn big, no matter how hard you try, you can't
get to all of it and do any of your travels justice.  Course if we could
make all events week long events, then there would be time to work it out
like we do for Gulf and Pennsic for example.

Very little is easy.  Therefore we can only do our best, but if we are not
striving to be more, then we are striving to be less... we should strive to
be more... we should not strive to be Southern Ansteorra's outback Northern
step children, required to meet the South at their end of the field, we
should strive to have so much fun that everyone, from anywhere would travel
to play here in Northern Ansteorra.

Merrik