NR - Regional Identity

Lori Campbell LCAMPBEL at ossm.edu
Mon Sep 4 17:19:14 PDT 2000

> So.. how do we fix that? ...
> -Emma de Fetherstan

The perception that Ansteorra is Texas?  The only way to fix that is
for northerners to go South (sorry, there's no other way).  Whether
it does "any good" or not is relative to what you are trying to
accomplish.

We had folks at Wiesenfeuer last weekend from Stargate, Gate's Edge
(Stargate's Canton), Bryn Gwlad, Rosenfeld, Elfsea and Steppes (and
that's just the one's I know of).  If you get past the fact that it
was amazing *anyone* was willing to play in 112 degree heat, to have
folks travel from so far to come to our event was a wonderful thing.
I'm reasonably sure they didn't come to promote our region or their
own.  I'm almost certain they came to spend time with their friends.

Those folks know Oklahomans are Ansteorrans.  But it took
some of us traveling to their areas to say "hey, we want to be
friends."  I've said it before, it's a give and take.  If all we do
is sit up here and say "I'm waiting for *them* to give first" or "it
never helps to travel down south" then we only reinforce the
isolation.

Kat