NR - Principality

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Wed Sep 6 18:10:10 PDT 2000

At 06:18 AM 9/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
>Perhaps not having the population to support a Kingdom is a good
>thing.  It would give us a chance to be a Principality without
>worrying that they would want to force us into being a Kingdom.
>
>Hawkins

As someone who is relativly new to this, I have been reading and trying to
cull through all the posts to know what to save.  I have heard many people
express differing ideas both for and against Principality and I will start
with a preface, I have only been playing 14 months and know that there is
much history, personality clash and differences, that effect the current
discussion.  In looking at the streangths of the SCA and why it has become
a large part of our lives, it has to do with the honor of the people
involved and their dedication to something greater than themselves.  When
coming from such diverse points, both in the society and mundanly; one has
to sacrifice some of what you want personally and look at what will
strengthen the group you love so much.  All of the arguements I have heard
lead me to believing that Principality will bring greater strength to the
Dream we live.  It will allow us to have identity that is more than just
being a region, but does not sever the link to Ansteorra.  I firmly believe
that those who travel will continue to do so, but for those of us where it
isn't really an option; there will be more of the magic and pagentry that
make The Dream live.

The greatest thing to watch for is the division and hurt that can come
through discussions/arguemnents.  For the group to look at the differing
options and what they will entail requires a great deal of honesty and
openness and a forum where people feel safe discussing things.  The duel
nature of things taking place in a virtual arena and also at round tables
at local events over the next few months, is one in which there is not a
great number of presidences for.  I have recently watched a community be
ripped apart when things took place in an online forum and then affected
the people that they regularly met with.  I feel that we must dilligently
guard against devisivness as we work through this process.  The other thing
that has to be kept forefront in peoples minds is that people have
completly differnent mindsets about how to argue and discuss things.  This
can lead to people reading offence in when a person intended none, but was
just wanting to clarify ideas.  I truely believe that honor will reign here
and we can work to come to a consensus of what will best serve those in the
region and remember that consensus doesn't mean that all agree, but that
they can support a given decision for the good of the group.

Susan the Curious