NR - Principality

Burke McCrory burkemc2 at home.com
Wed Sep 6 21:39:36 PDT 2000

>At 09:13 PM 9/6/2000 -0500, you wrote:
><snip>
>
>I'm wondering, is there anyone on this list who went through the
>transformation from the Principality of Ansteorra to the Kingdom of
>Ansteorra that could shed some light on the changes, good and bad?  Yes I
>know that we aren't talking about Kingdom, but there have to be some
>similarities.
>
>Ld. Llygoden Llwyd
>Barony of Wiesenfeuer
>Squire to Earl Barn Silveraxe
>Mka Phillip Stallcup
>Pstallcup at mmcable.com

Yes, there are a few of us old timers still around :)

First, remember that the situation existing when Ansteorra was moved from a
region to a Principality and ultimately a Kingdom was different.  We were a
part of a Kingdom that spanned over 1000 miles from the Oklahoma-Arkansas
border to the Arizona-California border and all the way up to the Canadian
border.  What is today the Kingdoms of Atenveldt, Outlands, Artemisia, and
Ansteorra.  The Crowns were almost always out of the Phoenix area and
rarely came even as far east as New Mexico.  Plus strong forces in
Atenveldt wanted Ansteorra gone as they saw us a threat to move the seat of
power out of the western side of the Kingdom after John and Willow ruled
their first crown.  So there was never a question as to whether we would
become a Kingdom but how long would it take.

That having been said it was by no means a unanimous decision by the
populace to become a Kingdom.  Many people held fierce loyalties to mother
Atenveldt and were quite upset that some wanted to break off and find our
own way.  There was a core group that did much of the paperwork and
brainstorming.  When we became a Kingdom we had to choose what traditions
we would keep and what traditions we would change.  Jonathan and Willow as
our first Crown did much of that and the Crowns that followed added and
embellished the work they had started.  As to the good and bad points it is
hard to compare today with then.  The SCA was still very young, there were
only about 300 people in all of Ansteorra that played on an active basis
Kingdom wide.  There were fewer than 20 groups in all of Ansteorra with
most of them being less than two years old.  In the North you had the
established Shire of Namron and new groups (less than 18 months old) in
what is now Northkeep, Mooneschadow, Wiesenfeuer, and Eldern Hills.

Similarities would be I guess developing a new identity with all of the
pomp, flourish, and pride that we have today.  I think that we (all of
those who were active back then as well as now) did a pretty good job.

Burke