NR - Principality or Not?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Thu Sep 7 20:25:39 PDT 2000

Chris Backus (cbackus at peakonline.com) said something that sounded like:
> > For those who don't know, the Southern Region had these same discussions
> > a little over a year ago or so. We had the same types of discussions
> > on-line as you have so far, including any ugliness. We had a lot of
> > discussions off-line that never did get ugly. (Probably because email is
> > a lot less expressive than face to face.) Our decision was that we
> > weren't ready for it yet for many different reasons.
> What were the essential arguments in your case?  What area were you
> considering for the Principality?

The essential arguments for it was the same ones that have been covered
here:

Added Pomp
Load off the Landeds and Crown for groups in the area
Calendar
Etc

The arguments against it were the same:

It's all bull
No regional identity
Etc

The proposed area was the Southern Region as it stands. This is why I
personally was against the proposal. I was of the opinion that it would
be unfair to the Coastal Region and that we should go together. Not to
mention that I didn't feel it a viable group eventhough we had the
population numbers because of the transition from Principality to
Kingdom that some people would want to follow. (I am one of the people
that thinks it is a natural progression and not a step in and of itself.)

> I think it will matter, if only to our game.  In 25 years, this
> decision may decide what the Knowne World map looks like.

I'm sorry, but who really cares?

> Kingdoms play differently, too, as you know from your travels.

While Kingdoms play different, so do the regions within the Kingdoms.
Even in Ansteorra, the West plays different than the North who plays
different from Central. Those are all adjoining regions and they are
all unique places. The events and traditions vary even when it is the
same people in attendance.

> It's not
> important in the grand scheme, but nothing except people is important
> in the grand scheme in my mind.

That was my point.

> There may not be equal opportunity to become a Principality at all
> times in the future.

There may not be now due to the news that I have heard out of the North
in the last year. If I was on the Board, (which I gladly am not!!!) I
wouldn't approve a change in group status for a group with that many
internal problems in a short time period.

> If we want a Principality, though, there may be a time frame we
> must work within (some number of years), else we lose our opportunity.

That could be if another Region does it, but I think that is even a
stupider reason than any other. You do it because you want to, not
because you are afraid you won't be able to in the future.

> > Relax and enjoy this game we call the SCA.
> Perhaps relax enough to continue to have fun, but relaxation is not
> all there is to the SCA.

It was a play on "Relax and enjoy a homebrew". In other words, don't
stress over the little things.

> Every person in the SCA has to give up a
> little bit of rest or relaxation in order for the game to run.

As they do every day and at every event.

> Some people give up a lot of time, you are called Pelicans, aren't you?

The last I checked I was acknowledged to be a member of the Order of the
Pelican. I guess that means someone thinks I've given a lot of myself,
not just time, to this game. I hope that I can live up to the expectations
that myself and others have placed on me because of it.

Now I hope that all of you can keep this from being a personal issue when
you are "discussing" it so it won't destroy any friendships, memberships,
nor groups.

Ciao,