NR - Principality or Not?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Fri Sep 8 04:58:09 PDT 2000

Burke McCrory (burkemc2 at home.com) said something that sounded like:
> >Polling is done of everybody.
> >Voting is only of the subscribing/sustaning members.
> Unfortunately this is not the case when dealing with
> Principalities.  Officially, the only polling/voting that the Board
> recognizes is of subscribing members.

My understanding from talking to members of the Board is that while
it is true that they only recognize the formal vote of the subscribing,
they are still interested in the outcome of less formal polling of the
entire region if a vote is marginal to make sure they are not getting
a skewed vote for some reason or to help in what might be a difficult
decision.

> >Family members and Associate members don't count in the final population
> >numbers and what not. They are taken into account in borderline cases,
> >but only as an item of interest to help push a group over the edge.
> Again it would be nice if it were true, but it is not.  If a area is so
> close in membership numbers that they need to include non-subscribing
> members their petition should not have gone up in the first place.

Uhh. I didn't mean to imply that they would be taken into account
instead of subscribing members, but that they would be taken into
account in the overall decision. If a region has 150 members and the
Board is not certain if they want to elevate, they can take into account
the family and associate members to see if there is the potential there.
In other words if you only have subscribing members because everyone
changed their membership so they could eak by, they probably won't do
it.

Then again, I could be blowing smoke, but this is the type of
information I got when the South was looking at the issue.

Ciao,