NR - Soup Kitchen

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Fri Sep 8 10:33:44 PDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Chipman" <cchipman at nomadics.com>
To: <northern at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Friday, September 08, 2000 12:12 PM
Subject: RE: NR - Soup Kitchen

> My milage is currently about 12 miles per gallon, and when its on
the
> highway about 15, so indeed it does vary.

You're a very funny man, I'm laughing.  Really.

> But thats not important right now.
>
> Actually, the guard has in the past almost always had a waterbearing
or
> support corps.  Lady Sosonna has helped out at many events, and then
last
> year with Lilias, Lillian, and I think one other (memory fails).
Last year
> we formalized it by making any person who so wanted to a member of
the
> guard as long as they either fought, or supported the fighters.  If
you you
> helped, you got to wear the tabard. Northkeep also tends to have
people who
> are very supportive to the fighters.

Reading back on it, I do realize that I said there weren't people
interested in supporting fighters.  That's not what I meant (despite
being what I said - oh, well).  I personally do not feel that I, as a
fighter, would benefit as much from a soup kitchen as the individuals
working in it would work.  I think we have some incredibly hard
working water bearers, list mistresses, full-time marshals, etc. and I
don't like think we need another demand on their time.  If they would
like to, that's great, but I don't think we need it.  I don't even
like to eat when I fight, I have to force myself too.

We have to consider too that a kitchen will normally generate a
schedule.  When someone works with the thought that someone needs
their food, they will want that food eaten.  If the schedule gets
wrecked for one of the many reasons it often does, or the fighters
don't feel like eating (I don't know how many fighters are like me,
but given the right combination of heat, exhaustion, and residual
adrenaline, I can become violently opposed to eating) the supporters
are likely to feel unappreciated.

Just my ideas.  I'm not for it, but hey nobody's going to make me
eat....

> Jean Paul
>
> Carl Chipman
> Nomadics, Inc.