NR - Principality name

Chandranath russ at randomgang.com
Sat Sep 9 09:09:24 PDT 2000

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 11:42:34AM -0400, Kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:
> Dunno Atenveldt, although ths suffix is something like plains or steppe.

Land of the sun.

> Dunno Meridies, although it has the same root as meridian.

I have read that it means "south".  Haven't confirmed this.

> Trimaris is 'three seas'.  I don't know if the third is supposed to be the
> Caribbean or Lake Okechobee.

The Caribbean, I should think. :)

> Dunno Aethelmarck.

Aethelmearc (I looked it up).  I gather it is Saxon for "noble borderland".

> Dunno Ealdormere.

I am informed it was intended to mean "old lake", although study suggests it's
more like "noble lake".  Anyway.

Caid is said to to be an anagram (sigh):
_C_alafia, _A_ngels, _I_sles, _D_reiburgen -- first four baronies therein.
I have also read that it is "fortress" in some language, possibly Arabic; I
have no confirmation.

The last two were courtesy an article in the Florilegium.

--
Lord Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy
Musician in the King's Players