NR - Principality name

Spatsman at aol.com Spatsman at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 17:42:11 PDT 2000

catmafia at swbell.net writes:

<<
 This is a wonderful idea.  Do we have any falconers in the group who would
 have some wonderfully period names and terms?  Other than 'Hawk'ins and the
 Good Ship 'Raptor', what are other names and household names in the North
 that are already used that we will work around.

 A translation of Might Bird of the North might even work,
 Susan

Well, since I brought this up, I'll provide a more complete list of
possibilities.
Just some ideas to think about, here.
The following species have all been recorded in Oklahoma...I'll asterisk* our
sometime visitors, so that the year-round resident species can be seen....
Though they may not be true raptors, I include the family Cathartidae..
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture

>From the family Falconidae, order Accipitridae...
Osprey*
Bald Eagle*
Golden Eagle
Northern Harrier*
Sharp-Shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Northern Goshawk*
Gray Hawk
Harris Hawk
Red-Shouldered Hawk
Broad-Winged Hawk
Red-Tailed Hawk
Swainson's Hawk
Ferriginous Hawk
Rough-Legged Hawk
Swallow-Tailed Kite*
White-Tailed Kite*
Mississippi Kite*

Also from Falconidae, the true order of Falconidae
American Kestrel (sometimes called Sparrow Hawk, but it's our smallest falcon)
Merlin
Gyrfalcon*
Prairie Falcon
Peregrine Falcon

And finally, those lovable Strigiformes
Old World-Barn Owl
New World- Western Screech Owl
                  Eastern Screech Owl
                  Great Horned Owl
                  Burrowing Owl
                  Barred Owl
                  Long-Eared Owl
                  Short-Eared Owl
                  Northern Saw-Whet Owl*
                  and even the Snowy Owl* visits in harsher winters, though
this is rare.
There some raptors for you to consider. I cannot varify the migratory status
of some, but rest assured that the year-round residents are easy to figure
out, should we want to do this in the future.
BTW, I like this raptor idea, in case you missed it.
~Fionnagan