NR - Principality name

Ulf Gunnarsson ulfie at MMCABLE.COM
Sat Sep 9 22:52:26 PDT 2000

The sage Fionnagan gave a list of birds.  Too bad the "kites" are only
occasional visitors... it would add a new dimension for those using "kite
shields"... Eagles and Hawks, Falcons, Owls... I'll have to look up some of
these in my medieval bestiary sometime and tell you what people used to
think of these creatures.  But I know the Norse images already:

Eagles, I know, are important figures of war and secret knowledge in
medieval verse and saga. Hraesvelg (corpse gulper) is the eagle whose wings
create the wind in Norse mythology. The giant Þjazzi changed into eagle form
to steal Idunn's apples, as did Odin to carry back the Mead of Inspiration
that all bards drink.

In Grimnismal, one is told of the World Tree, Yggdrasil.  On its highest
branch rests a great Eagle, and on that eagle's brow stands a falcon. At the
lowest roots of the tree is a serpent, Nithhogg, who devours the roots of
the tree.  A squirrel, Ratatösk, carries gossip and discord between the
eagle and the serpent.  Not a bad set of archtypes for a group of people who
spend most of their time cooped up with one another and only got to journey
out seasonally.

So watch out for squirrels.  Don't let email become Ratatösk on this or any
other list. Or in real life.

And watch out for mooses, and spies with funny accents...

Boris... er... Ulfie