NR - Raffles, et. al

Annais de Montgomerie maleahladywait at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 11:35:07 PST 2001

Master Richard,

Would you mind clarifying what you wrote below when in
one paragraph you state that there are to be no more
raffle-type drawings in the Northern Region, yet in
the next paragraph you state that you will be
selecting "prize-winners" by drawing if a person
donates something.

I am confused. On one hand you state "No more drawings
in the North"; on the other, "I'm hosting a drawing at
Northern Regional Tribute".

Your post seemed extremely contradictory.  Either we
don't have raffle-type drawings in the North, or we
do.  And my thought is since the raffle-type drawings
are against the law in Oklahoma, we DON'T HAVE ANY
TYPE OF DRAWING WHATSOEVER.

How can it be that if you do a drawing everything is
all hunky and dory at the same time?  And if someone
else is going to hold a drawing they can't, just
because you said that it is against the law.  What
makes it all right for you to do this and others are
wrong and expressly forbidden?  What civil law in
Oklahoma gives you that right? Or are you skirting the
letter of the law with other "ad hoc" interpretation?
Or since you are doing such a drawing, are you
accepting all legal responsibilities and waiving all
involvement with the SCA?  If that is the case, more
power to you!

I personally would hate to see members of our populace
lose their mundane jobs or be arrested for a crime
that can be easliy avoided.  Such a thing as this
could reflect poorly on the SCA as a whole.  Not to
mention get us, as an organization, in a great deal of
legal trouble.

And, since when is it acceptable standard practice to
see how close we can come to illegality (Viking'd the
word, but hope you'll get the meaning) in fund raising
or other matters appertaining to civil law?  The only
interpretation that will matter is the one the officer
of the law determines at the time he shows up to
investigate/arrest.

How can these actions be considered "honorable", when
we as a group (and individuals) hold honor near and
dear to us?

Annais de Montgomerie