NR - Raffles, et. al

Chandranath chandra at plumes.org
Thu Feb 15 12:30:55 PST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 11:35:07AM -0800, Annais de Montgomerie wrote:
> I am confused. On one hand you state "No more drawings
> in the North"; on the other, "I'm hosting a drawing at
> Northern Regional Tribute".

There is a difference between holding a drawing where the winner(s) gets
something (particularly if that something is funded by the cost to enter, but
apparently Oklahoma law does not make that distinction) and a drawing to see
who gets what, but _everyone_ gets something (in particular, of roughly
equal value).  If the latter were illegal, Secret Santa would be doing time
in the county joint.

I am bemused and disturbed by the hostility on this list.  I don't know Master
Richard.  My opinions on his handling of past matters are a matter between me
and him, and probably just between me and myself.  But it is the job of the GOS
to set policy when it is needed, and this is a clear case for such.  Master
Richard says he has studied the law and determined that a raffle is illegal,
but that handing out gifts to all contributors, selected by chance -- in other
words, selling a 'grab bag', effectively -- is legal.  I believe him.  It's
his job to study and see what is appropriate.

I assume from your post that you misunderstood his position.  It is still
regretful that you felt it necessary to imply some sort of dishonor on Master
Richard's part in the course of not only doing his duties as Kingdom
Seneschal, but in addition, offering to alleviate a situation created by
policy by generously coming to give MORE than was intended.  That personal
generosity IS the hallmark of the SCA, I submit.

----

On a side note, to those still reading, I have also asked Master Richard to
consider the details of the contest being held at Tribute's rapier field, and
he has determined that we are in the clear, so we will be going ahead as
planned.  Neat pouches containing tokens will be for sale until they run out
for $4 a pouch, proceeds going entirely to the Tribute.  We will hold our game
thereafter and the winner will have a banner made by the Ladies Emma and
Helene, as previously mentioned.  Hope to see everyone there.

Chandra
the Bill & Ted Memorial Be Excellent To Each Other (And Party On, Dudes) Gang

--
Shri Chandranath, Cadet to Don Timothy
Pursuivant Extraordinaire