NR - Raffles (legal)

HEGitana at aol.com HEGitana at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 21:38:28 PST 2001

Burke, it would seem that your boss and my boss disagree. I spent six hours
today with *very* knowledgeable people trying to find a way to do this and
obey the law.  I gave them every scenario that has been given here.  In the
end I was told *again* that there is no legal way for us to do this as a
drawing/raffle (by any name) and not be breaking the law.  Money is being
given in exchange for a ticket for a chance to determine what prize is won.

The issue is not "can we be prosecuted" or "would we lose a lawsuit if one
was brought against us"?   The issue is *are we breaking the law*?
In the end the opinion that will matter is that of law enforcement and not
the opinion of anyone on this list.

Gitana