[NR] a challenge of peace

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Sun Jul 22 21:07:12 PDT 2001

Aelfwyn wrote:
>To those of you who don't feel that need, I would add this to HE
>Caitrinne's challenge:
>
>Think of the person who has hurt you, angered you, betrayed you, done
>whatever to you the most, the person who you can't see eye to eye with and
>never will, the person you can't stand. Now, think up one - just one -
>good thing about that person, write it down & put THAT on the arch. Don't
>try telling me that you can't think of one good thing; there are several
>people in the SCA that I don't care to be around, can't stand, etc., but I
>can name at least one good point (usually several) about each of them,
>whether it is artistic talent, fighting skill, being willing to speak
>their mind or whatever.
>
>The point of this being that no one here is evil. Differing points of
>view, acts of stupidity & even occasionally deliberately hurtful acts,
>yes, but no real evil. Just plain old people making mistakes, & the
>biggest mistake that we can make is thinking that "they" are bad and "we"
>are good. THAT to me is the root of the problems in the north: people
>deciding that one person or another is the great Satan of the moment &
>must be stopped from destroying all that is good.

Wow, I am not sure if I have met you yet or not, but I would love to.  This
so sucinctly sums up so much that I have been thinking as part of what may
bring some healing to us.  Having just celebrated 2 years in this
facinating gathering of people, I am no longer new and have stepped up to
carry some of the weight to making the Dream happen.  One of the first
things I remember hearing that has stuck with me, was that fighters take
care of other fighters; so they will be there to play with (There was
something about not breaking toys in the orrigional line).

We need the strength that comes from our diversity.  If everyone was the
same or agreed to everything, this would be awfully boring and lack the
spice that meets so many needs.  We need to allow each person the space and
dignity to bring to this the gifts that are uniquly theirs.  Even if you
can't see eye to eye, look for where their gifts make this a better game
and putting the focus on that; will serve all by making the game better for
all.

>So think up one good thing about that person you can't stand & remember
>that just as no one here is evil, no one here is perfect. Cut each other
>some slack, treat each other to a little patience & give that person whose
>post annoyed you the benefit of the doubt before you start tossing off
>judgements in your replies.

I am hoping some genuine efforts to do this can help bring back so many
that add the spice to the game.  We are poorer for not having such people
around.  Another thing that we can also look to do, is to help draw back in
those who, for one reason or another, have drifted away from the game.  To
find ways to bring the dream alive in small ways, will make the whole
experience better for all.

We had a discussion in the recent past about the magic of the dream and
where that was for us.  My daughter recited Finnogan and Ulf's stories from
their first events to me on the way home today, good work guys.  She felt
your passion and the stories will live on beyond you.  Everyone, remember
the wonderful magic that this has had for you and remember to do your part
to provide that for anyone else who might be new in our midst.  As a desire
to live the dream; welcome those new, current and dropped back with warmth
and compassion and lets create again something that our children will tell
of in years to come.

The magic can still be here and we can be a brilliant, magestic Pheonix
rising from the ashes of our insecurities,

Susan, in Service to
Truth, Beauty, Freedom,
But above all...
Love.