[NR] More Memories

Tim Goins timgoins at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 01:06:50 PDT 2001

from Ly. Isabela del Bosque protege' to H.E. William Blackfox and Mstrss Ronna Rosgaile Sollieann
Solier, Barony of Northkeep, Kingdom of Ansteorra

Greetings, My thanks to H.L. Robert Fitzmorgan for starting this thread.  This has been a
difficult time for many.  Though I'm not as eloquent as my Master William, I believe that we
should strive to build each other up, and not tear one another down.  Focus on the positive, and
not embrace the negative.  This can be hard to do, and I must count myself among the guilty who
practice, or listens to idle gossip.  We all find times where we must step back and take stock of
ourselves and what re-examine who we are,why we play the game and what we expect out of it.  Very
often this involves taking a brief hiatus away from the SCA.  Do not berate yourself so severely,
Gunhilda, I've known and admired you for a long time.  We all do what we have to do.  These last
five or so years, have seen the loss of many stout hearts who have inspired so many people.  We
cannot begin to count the cost of those losses.  By all means, if you are weary, heartsick, back
up, back off, take a breather.  But don't quit, don't go away.  We've lost too many good people
already.  The dream is still there, everywhere, everyday.  Sometimes we just lose sight of it.
Now, enough of all that seriousness,  and on to the reason I'm wasting bandwith for!

     There is no way, I can put quill to paper to share all the wonderful memories I've kept all
these years.  I discovered the SCA in 1983-84 and have been a paid member since 1986.  One of my
favorite memories, was a science fiction convention here in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  This was my second
exposure to the SCA.  I'd met a few people already and they were holding Demo at the convention.
It was hot, like 104 degrees,  I'd brought down buckets of ice and towels and rags that I'd wet
down and spent the afternoon cooling the brows of exhausted fighters, I didn't know that one day,
I would fall in love with and marry one of them.  I spent many more days, afternoons, and then
weekends, getting to know what would become my extended family.  My first event was Namron
Protectorate in 1986, a very cold and wet one.  I survived it, and kept coming back for more.  I
had just started going to college in Joplin, Missourri when one, Andrew Selwyn began to pursue me
with beautiful original poetry he'd written in calligraphy with his own hands.  I would later
learn that he'd felt awkward and had no idea what he should say to me.  But then he found the
power within himself through his "personae" who would know what to say, even if he didn't.  I,
too, found a new power within myself.  I was painfully shy and awkward.  I spent a long time
watching on the sidelines; waiting, unsure of what I should do.  The Society helped me to build
wings, that I might learn to fly.  I cannot begin to tell you what all of you have meant to me
over the years, how very dear, you are to me.  I have held the office of Hospitaller of Northkeep,
been the Northern Regional Hospitaller, became the Second Castellan of the Shire of Northkeep, and
won a Beginner's Equestrian championship at the Shire of the Wastelands.  There is more, so very
much more, that I could share with you, tell you, had you the time and patience to to listen.
These treasures are locked within my heart and no one can ever take them away.  For this and so
much more, Ansteorra, I thank you,
-Ly. Isabela del Bosque Northkeep
AOA, Comet, Crane