[NR] Memories, apologies, wishes, and a challenge

Stryver stryver at ionet.net
Tue Jun 5 21:19:28 PDT 2001

Greetings All!  I do not believe I've spoken before on this list, and should
probably introduce myself first.  I am Jubal, and I fight in sable and
argent checky.

That said, I most definitely have fun in the SCA.  I find it sad that there
is such turmoil, even though I cannot relate well.  My free time barely
allows enough to stay current in putting on armor, much less becoming more
involved.

But I would like to thank all of those who have ever experienced burnout, or
'the Wall', or whatever else, or are in danger of doing so.  I myself do not
put enough time into this Society to sustain even my little part of it, yet
I know that whenever I can spare the time, and show up to an event, I can be
promised fighting, and feasting, and all sorts of other fun.

In recent years I have been through three kingdoms, and will be through more
in the foreseeable future.  Each one I show up to welcomes me with wide-open
arms, remembers me, and greets me the next time I manage to show up.I thank
you for this.  Each one offers me fighting 'till my arms drop off, feasting
'till my stomach can take no more, and drinks 'till the night grows old, and
opens a tent to me afterwards.  For this I thank you.

I voice my thanks too little for the deeds done by those who keep this
Society alive.  Know this, I _am_ grateful, and there are many others who
are as well, who are not involved in the background work that keeps this
Dream afloat, but merely show up when they can, and enjoy themselves.  So
whenever you've labored long hours for this Society, and think no one has
noticed or cared, remember that I am thankful, and then smile, because of
the joy you've made possible for others.

    Jubal