[NR] Historical accuracy and fun

upsxdls_osu at us.inter.net upsxdls_osu at us.inter.net
Wed Jun 6 05:12:37 PDT 2001

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:59:02 -0500 you wrote:
> <Bear/Terry Decker>
> >I've found over the years that the people who make accusations
> >tend to be guilty of the evils they find in others.  The targets are
> >most often stubborn, opinionated people, "who just don't play the
> >game (their way)."

I've been following this thread with interest. Now, I have a few questions. I
play/work in the SCA because it is "fun." I enjoy events, because I like to
camp out, visit with friends, watch others working their crafts, ask questions,
work on my persona, attend court, drink and eat and make merry. I am only a
beginner at working toward historical accuracy. Sometimes I fail miserably, but
I do have the goal.  I'm having trouble with some folks who seem to resent my
having a good time. They ask me what period my clothing is, and does it match
my persona. Well, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. But, being asked
about it disturbs my fun.

Because of finances, I still use a plastic tarp for a pavillion. I'd love to
have the funds to build a "real" pavillion, and I know people who will help me,
but I don't have the money - yet. I am studying texts on medieval clothing, and
am working on redacting a documentably period German Feast for Mooneschadowe
Guardian. (Aside to Bear - the German Feast is on!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is I think folks who haven't played for long,
or "poor college students" should be encouraged to work toward the goal of
historical accuracy, not be made uncomfortable because there's a bit of
polyester in the weave of that tunic, or because they get caught opening a can
of spam at lunch. Maybe fun is all some are after. And it's OK with me. They're
the ones armoring up and fighting, bringing me entertainment.

Maybe I'm not communicating this well, but if I had to put off playing until I
could afford to play with a much higher lever of historical accuracy, I
probably would not have started to play at all. And, I must admit, there are
many people who have encouraged me to keep playing and to become more
historically accurate, in a very kind way. I hope I've helped some newcomers
feel more comfortable by passing on the kindnesses, and stopping harsh
criticisms.

Just my two cents, and that's probably all it's worth!
Lady Liadan