[NR] Historical accuracy and fun

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Wed Jun 6 07:09:24 PDT 2001

At 07:12 AM 6/6/01 -0500, Liadan wrote:
>>...I guess what I'm trying to say is I think folks who haven't played for long,
>>or "poor college students" should be encouraged to work toward the goal of
>>historical accuracy, not be made uncomfortable because there's a bit of
>>polyester in the weave of that tunic, or because they get caught opening a can
>>of spam at lunch. Maybe fun is all some are after. And it's OK with me. They're
>>the ones armoring up and fighting, bringing me entertainment.
>Maybe I'm not communicating this well, but if I had to put off playing until I
>could afford to play with a much higher lever of historical accuracy, I
>probably would not have started to play at all....

I think you are expressing yourself just fine - and I agree.  I've long suggested that
if you are being harassed because you aren't being period, send whoever it is to me
since they make the rest of us look bad.

I will say that being accurate *can* be expensive, but it doesn't have to be.  It just takes
a little more time, patience, and effort.  You might try thinking more like, what one thing
can I make more accurate this year?  And just do that (while keeping up the past changes).
And I'm not talking about big things -- shoes, hats, taking the time and effort to find enough
linen and good quality wool, whatever, any one of these things -- rather than "this year my
clothes are going to be perfect".  Heck, spend a year researching the right shaped spoon
for your time and place, and getting used to eating with just that (for the record, you can eat
Italian food with just a spoon ...)  But remember, it should be a journey, not a final goal.

If we had a re-enactment group in this part of the country, then maybe it would be something
to get cranky over.

Marc/Diarmaid