[NR] Sword vs Spear...

Stryver stryver at ionet.net
Thu Jun 21 16:23:58 PDT 2001

Greetings All!

    I have seen a sword and shield used very effectively in SCA combat.
When I was first learning to fight in the Outlands, a certain squire was
forbidden by his knight to use a sword for some period of time.  He swapped
to spear and shield, and soon had a short spear customized to the task of
killing people one handed.  It was just about a light as he could get, while
still being stiff, and he'd thinned it down to give a better grip.  He was
fortunate to be a very mobile fighter, for that's what is needed.  If you
step into a swordsman's field of fire, you'll die, but if you can keep him
at your own distance, he can't hit back.

    I don't know how this guy's doing now, if he's still using the spear or
not, but I know he was very effective then.  He won a few tourneys with that
combo, one of which was half foot-race, and half fighting.  I beat his time
by a great deal, but he killed every opponent along the way with that spear,
and walked in to a victory.

    So my answer is Yes and Yes.  One on one it requires the agility of a
florintiner or madu to keep out of range, in melees it may require a back up
weapon, or trustworthy friends on either side with short clubby-things.  But
it can, and has, been used effectively.

  Jubal

mka Chad Bieber
eka Stryver