[Northern] hey everbody

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Mon May 14 15:09:54 PDT 2001

At 02:25 PM 5/14/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings to the North,
><snip>
>
>The results of the polling were ambiguous at best since less than half of
>our paid membership responded. No matter what their motivation or lack
>thereof, less than half of the numbers is NOT a good representation in ANY
>survey. Yes, Lord Robert, the world is shaped by the doers, but never forget
>history. Spartucus and the American and French Revolutions are prime
>examples of what decisions taken by the few without consent of the many can
>bring about. It's time to take this entire process out from under the table
>and place it squarely and openly in front of everyone.
>

>Maleah

I must disagree with some of the things you have said here.  Anyone who has
ever run voluntary surveys will tell you that 30% to 40% response is very
normal.  Getting almost 50% is considered exceptional.  Remember that this
survey was totally voluntary.  We asked groups to make the survey available
to their populace through populace meetings and their local
newsletters.  While all groups made the surveys available at their
meetings, many choose not to put them in their newsletters.  We also
provided a printable copy of the survey on the Internet but a person had to
have a computer to access it.  Given the voluntary nature of the survey I
am very pleased with the total number of surveys that we receive.  If you
use the normally accepted industry method of reviewing a survey, you would
assume that the non-voters would be split about the same percentages as the
voters on the issues at hand.  While I know that the percentages in the
non-voting populace are not the same as the voting populace, you also can
not make the distinction that everyone who did not vote is against these
issues.

As to your comment that this has been done under the table, I take personal
exception to that.  For more than 8 months I have been talking about this
issue.  I have held over half a dozen open public forms for people to come
and both ask questions and express their opinions.  I even offered to hold
one at Namron Protectorate last year but was turned down.  I don't know how
this could have been any more open.  I am sorry that you did not avail
yourself of the opportunity to attend one of these sessions, but please
don't defame those who did by implying that this was done under the table
or in someone's living room.

Sir Burke