[NR] Re: [Northkeep] (no subject)

Darin Herndon darin_herndon at bswintl.com
Mon Feb 4 15:50:07 PST 2002

Chass wrote some questions.  I'll answer a couple and try to point in the direction of info for the rest.  I've included the northern region list (Ansteorra) because some may have the same questions as Chass.  I've also copied the SCA comments email as Chass included it in his original post.  However, I would encourage everyone after this to only post to the comments email to ask the BoD questions or to offer direct suggestions.  I doubt they need to read all of our thread of postings.

1.  Umm since we are a NON-Profit and volunteer group where does this come into play and to whom does it go? <This question was under a copy of the line about staff salaries.>
The SCA is a non-profit corporation.  However, there is a paid staff.  The membership offices (Milpitas and Australia) have people on staff who work full-time.  Some of these staff are listed in corpora (maybe all) as their duties are defined.  Most of the paid staff deal with clerical and administrative issues, some deal with legal concerns or accounting functions.  I am sure that the office can provide details as to how many full-time and part-time staff are hired.

2.  How much did they propose to raise our membership costs to?
Depends on the options selected from lower in the original email.  One proposal, option 3, was to leave all subscriptions and rights etc. the same and just increase the membership fee.  It mentioned $5 or $10 per year per membership though I didn't notice that option was finalized.  Other options suggested actually propose dropping membership fees but also removing certain subscriptions, etc., from the benefits of membership.

3.  And if they raise it too much why are they not thinking of those who will stop paying to play, and only play.... I say this for there are 2 sustaining members in my house.... and I have signed up 10 more in the last 2 months.....
I think this is why they are asking for input.  They don't want to raise it too much.  I get the impression they don't really want to raise it at all.  But they have to look a the pattern of rising costs with less revenue and consider options.

4.  Is it that we need new and more people in the groups? Should we hold Hospitaler meetings of each region and brain storm ideas to increase populace?
Well, this is always needed (my opinion).  More groups too.  And this was one of the options listed, though they were asking for ideas on how to accomplish it.  Hospitaler meetings may be one way to accomplish it or get ideas to accomplish it.  In truth, this isn't about a membership increase though a membership increase may be one solution.  It is about staying in a financially stable position, lowering expenses where possible, raising revenues where possible, and trying to find the best way to do all of the above.

So, having written the above, let me post a question to my barony and region.  What are ideas that could increase revenue for corporate (as opposed to cutting expenses which a lot of companies are doing right now)?  Specifically, what are new ideas?  I'm not asking for things like the non-member surcharge or a corporate cut of the take at gate which were mentioned in the email.  I'm asking for new ideas.  These may be membership increase ideas, ideas to encourage more people to pay for memberships, or other forms of revenue that corporate may not be using.  Let's take the lead in our kingdom and the SCA and offer up ideas.

And, of course, please post to comments at sca.org and let them know what you think on each option mentioned.

Sincerely,
Seigneur Etienne de St. Amaranth
Compagnon à l'ordre de Estoille de Merite
Nordsteorra Herald