[NR] New Oklahoma Tax Law and Merchants

Lee McGoodwin etienett at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 19:20:06 PDT 2003

Bear,

A thought came to mind as I read your post....

The law seems to be aimd mostly at Gun Shows, Trade
Fairs, etc where many merchants come from out of state
for a weekend, sell their wares, then pack up and
leave without paying sales tax.  These "special
events" are open to the public.

My thought is... SCA events aren't open to the
public... I wonder how this difference effects us in
regard to the new law?

Etienett

--- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> After reading the law (HB 1356, sections 16 & 17),
> the problem isn't so much
> with whether or not you have a sales tax permit, but
> whether allowing people
> to act as vendors at an SCA event makes the SCA a
> "promoter" of a "special
> event" under the law with all of the fees, filings
> and requirements due from
> a "promoter".  Given the problems there are with
> reporting on events up the
> corporate chain, I'd hate to see how big mess there
> would be when someone
> failed to file properly with the OTC.  No offense,
> but the problem here
> isn't your interaction with the OTC, but the SCA's
> interaction with the OTC.
>
> The "special events" defined in the law are not
> limited to gatherings where
> the primary purpose is selling merchandise and
> organizations like the SCA
> are not listed in the exemptions, so the kingdom
> does need a clarification,
> in writing, of how the law will be enforced from the
> OTC.
>
> I think, if the autocrat made no special provisions
> or charges for vending,
> a permitted vendor such as yourself might be able to
> operate lawfully
> without involving the SCA.  However, in this case, I
> think the proper course
> of action is the one being followed by the Kingdom
> Seneschal, no matter how irritating we find it.
>
> Bear

=====
No light shines on the mind protected
No light shines on the fangs neglected
Run with the wolfpack.      (song lyrics)

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/seanetcafe